You may be thinking of buying good food dehydrator, and you do not how. In that case, you should not worry because this article is for you. Typically, the article is about the top 5 best food dehydrators for Australians and New Zealander.
I created the list after doing thorough research. I analyzed and compared features and specifications of dozens of food dehydrators, and also, read customer reviews. Armed with knowledge, I was able to pick the best 5 food dehydrators. So when you read this article, you know exactly what to expect.
Before we proceed:
What is a food dehydrator, just in case you do not know?
A food dehydrator is a machine used to dehydrate food. It drives moisture out of the food, extending its shelf life by decreasing the growth of mold and bacteria.
I want to let now that this is a pretty long article, and so I’ve divided it into three sections for easier navigation, especially if you do not have time to go through the whole article. Jump to the part that interests you and be informed appropriately.
- The top 5 best food dehydrators for Australian and New Zealanders
- The Buyer’s Guide: How to pick the best Food Dehydrator (What to look for)
- Frequently Asked Questions
Now, let’s dive right in and review the products
The 5 Best Food Dehydrator Australia and New Zealand
The BioChef Arizona Sol Food Dehydrator has six chemical-free stainless steel trays on which you place your food. These trays are strong, durable, and safe for use.
The large fan and powerful 420-500w heater element are rear-mounted, producing a horizontal flow of hot air to ensure that all the six trays receive hot air evenly for consistent drying; thus, eliminating the need to rotate or trays.
The 6 BPA-free, stainless steel drying trays are easily removable so that you add or remove food, or just to create ample space. Still, it makes cleaning easy.
You can watch the status of your food as it dehydrates without interrupting the process, thanks to the transparent door.
BioChef Arizona isn’t a small unit; it takes up quite a space in the kitchen counter.
- 5-hour digital timer
- Built of BPA free material
- Weighs 5.2kgs
- Enzyme protection technology to ensure nutrient preservation
- 6 x Stainless Steel Trays
- Two-year warranty
- 420-500 Watts
- Rectangular shape
- Horizontal airflow system
- Accessories – 1 x mesh sheet, 1 x non-stick sheet and 1 x drip tray
- The door is transparent allowing you to monitor the status of food easily
- The trays are removable making it possible to alter spacing depending on the amount of food you have
- The door comes off altogether, apart from sliding it to the top, a feature that makes it easy to insert and remove trays
- Made from safe material – BPA free
- Aesthetically pleasing
- Some customers complained of the unity being noisy while others say they did not receive an instruction manual
The DEVANTi Food 6 trays dehydrators are one of the simplest dehydrators to use, and clean.
It has a see-through door that is flame retarded, has a handle; thus, making it easier to manipulate. Additionally, and has a magnetic catch that ensures all the heat is captured within the dehydration chamber.
Unique to this DEVANTi Food Dehydrator is the fact that it comes with overheating protection, which ensures safe use, a reason we consider it one of the best food dehydrator Australia offers. Additionally, it has an SAA-certified plug. The unit rests still on the kitchen counter because of its anti-slip feet.
The DEVANTi Food dehydrator is a modest piece. It perfectly fits in your kitchen, especially if you have small counter space.
- 6 Food grade 304 stainless steel trays
- Large transparent door
- Overheating protection
- LCD touch control panel
- Adjustable timer: 0.5 to 19.5 hours
- Adjustable thermostat: 35°C to 70°C
- Has a door handle
- Rectangular shape
- Horizontal heat flow system
- Good quality stainless steel trays
- The unit is easy to use
- Operates quietly
- Easy to clean both the inside and the wire racks
- Highly-priced product
- Not ideal for commercial use
The MAGIC MILL professional is a large, powerful, and extremely efficient food dehydrator. It has more than 6 square feet of dehydrating space, accommodates a large number of foods.
Within the dehydrating space, you can arrange 6 plastic, height-adjustable dehydrating racks, to dry out different categories of food. These plastic racks are totally removable, making it simple to clean, load, and off-load food.
The machine has automated features which, apart from saving your precious time, they make it easier to operate the unit, e.g., integrated timer and the adjustable thermostat.
Its powerful rear-mounted fan and powerful 480W heater ensures a high-end performance, regardless of the type of food you want to dehydrate – harvest surplus, beef or turkey jerky, or dehydrate food.
- The horizontal airflow technology system
- One year limited warranty
- Automatic shutoff feature
- Timer (Up to 19.5 hours) and Digital Thermostat settings with a temperature range of 95° F to 158° F
- 6 spacious drying racks with a capacity of 7 + pounds
- Overheating safety protection
- 2 BPA-free non-stick fruit drip trays/leather sheets
- 2 BPA-free plastic mesh trays
- Additional Accessories: 2 silicone gloves,
- See-through doors
- BPA-free machine
- It packs safety feature such as overheating protection and auto-shutoff
- Spacious dehydrating space making it ideal for business
- Easy to operate, thanks to the user-friendly control panel
- Operates quietly
- Well priced
- Easy to clean
- The plastic body isn’t much strong; therefore it cannot withstand long time usage
- Produces a strong plastic smell
- Limited warranty
The Yescom 10 tray food dehydrator, holds ten trays, and each tray can be removed individually for easier operation. The racks are built of stainless steel
The large dehydrating chamber justifies the large 1200 watt rear-mounted heater element and a 7-inch fan. The heater consistently generates enough heat for the powerful fan to uniformly circulate it to the farthest end of the 10 trays for even drying.
The location of the digital panel is a sure sign that this appliance is easy to use. With a few presses, you can get the right temperature at a time for drying various kinds of food.
The stainless steel construction makes the Yescom 10 tray a durable dehydrating machine, which thus, qualifies it as the best food dehydrator Australia people can buy.
- 15 hours of digital timer control
- The temperature range is between 95 Degrees Fahrenheit and 155 Degrees Fahrenheit
- Horizontal airflow system with a rear-mounted 7-inch fan that generates consistent heat throughout the dehydrating chamber
- Holds ten drying racks and a drying space of 16 square feet
- 1-inch height between trays
- Built of food-grade stainless steel
- Auto- shut off timer
- The ten shelves provide an amazingly ample space to dehydrate food
- Sturdy construction
- Easy to clean since it has removable racks
- The single fan cannot supply hot air to the top tray efficiently; so you’ll need to rotate the trays
The Healthy choice 6 tray food dehydrator is a simple unit, yet it packs power for the diet-conscious individuals.
The dehydrator fits 6 trays. You can adjust and remove the trays individually, which allows you to manipulate the dehydrator easily.
The 420-500W heater element and large fan are rear-mounted. This drying system ensures that heated air circulates through all components consistently, resulting in even drying across all the 6 trays.
But, you have to get the right temperature and time as per the cooking guide, by using the adjustable thermostat and setting a mobile reminder.
The ON / OFF switch is a sure way of starting and switching off your dehydrator.
- Simple ON/OFF switch
- Large 6-tray capacity
- Adjustable temperature dial
- One year warranty
- Transparent glass viewing slide door
- Included one food-grade solid food dehydrator sheet
- Six trays for ample drying space.
- The ability to adjust trays makes it convenient
- Horizontal airflow for even dehydration
- Easy use and clean up
- It lacks a timer and automatic shut off feature
The Buyer’s Guide: How to pick the best Food Dehydrator (What to look for)
There are 3 main styles:
- Circular/ vertical flow: they have the heater and the fan located either at the top or the bottom. Usually, food dehydrates at different rates, i.e., the food closes to the heater dehydrates faster. So you’ll need to interchange the trays for even drying continually. The trays are stackable; you can alter the number of trays by increasing or decreasing.
- Rectangular/square dehydrators: the motor and the fan are rear-mounted, which creates an even and consistent flow of hot air within the unit. The result; the drying of food is uniform and even. Also, you can remove the mid trays to create more extensive space.
Type of food to dehydrate
Good food dehydrator will dry all kinds of food thoroughly. However, some work better for certain foods than others. For instance, if you want to make meat jerky, as square dehydrator is a better option as it has an even flow of hot drying air. Similarly, when dehydrating fruits and vegetables, the rectangular shape is the preferred option as opposed to the circular on.
Ease of use
Apart from controls, you need to find out whether the food dehydrator has an even flow of air. This way, you’ll not need to switch trays midway the dehydration process. Undoubtedly, switching trays is highly inconveniencing and dangerous.
The amount of food you intend to prepare determines the size and capacity to buy. However, note that the dehydrators with stackable trays have a large capacity allowing you to prepare more food at go.
Even the airflow system
The heating power and fan varies from one model to another. Nevertheless, the best food dehydrator Australia markets offer must have even airflow across the tray. To improve airflow, some have been fitted with dual fans and have high wattage heaters. To know better, read about the manufacturer’s description of heat distribution and airflow for each model.
The fan is the primary producer of sound. You have to consider the overall decibel level, as it vastly varies from unit to unit. Buy an appliance that is as quiet as possible.
Settings and features
The features of a unit determine its usability and efficiency. Pay close attention to the thermostat, timer, auto-shutoff.
Prices of the best food dehydrator in Australia typically range from $30 to over $500. The features of the dehydrator dictate its price. The most efficient ones come at higher prices.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much electricity do food dehydrators use?
The amount of energy depends on the wattage. For instance, a 700W dehydrator uses 0.7kW. You then multiply this value (appliance’s kWh) by the cost per hour. So dehydrators with higher wattage will cost more if run for long.
Are food dehydrators noisy?
All dehydrators produce some noise while working. However, the level of sound varies with size and quality. Larger dehydrators produce more noise, while high-quality ones produce less noise.
How safe are plastic food dehydrators?
The dehydrators are made of hard plastic whose melting temperature is above 221°F. The internal temperature of food dehydrators is less than 158°F. That means your dehydrator won’t melt. Again, so far, none has been reported to be dangerous to your health, unlike other products.
How long can dehydrated food last?
Food that is adequately dehydrated and stored can last more than 5 years according to various sources. Vegetables can clock 10 years or more, while dried fruits will reach 5 years.
Food dehydrators are, undoubtedly, valuable additions to a kitchen. They not only give you healthy snacks but help you preserve food. The units we have reviewed here are highly functional. If you are looking for the best food dehydrator, Australia vendors offer. We recommend one of these products.
Related Buyer’s Guides:
- The 5 Best Food Dehydrator in India 2020 (Review)
- Best Food Dehydrators for Beef Jerky, Herbs, Fruits