Cherry juice is a juice made from cherries. It is drunk as a soft drink and also used as an ingredient in processed foods and beverages. It is also used as a health supplement.
Cherry juice is extracted by pressing cherries, collecting the juice, filtering then pasteurizing/purifying it.
A cup of tart cherry juice has;
- 32.84 g of sugar
- 1.45 g of fat
- 83 g of proteins
- 10 mg of vitamin B6
- 35 mg of calcium
- 1.13 mg of Iron
- 30 mg of Magnesium
- 46 mg of Phosphorous
- 433 mg of Potassium
- 11 mg of Sodium
Cherry juice can be used in different forms, that is, in alcohol, as a supplement, and as food.
As a food, Cherry juice can be used as a soft drink and as an ingredient in some processed foods and beverages. It is also used in making cherry ice cream, cherry brandy, and cherry bounce.
It is also used as a flavor by food manufacturers.
As a dietary supplement, cherry juice is made as a concentrate and in capsules as a powder.
Cherry juice contains anthocyanins and flavonoids, which some research has pointed out as recovery aids after intense exercise. It has also been claimed that cherry juice improves sleep (no proof for this one yet).
In alcoholic beverages, cherry juice is used as a beer ingredient; for example, the Three Floyds Brewing uses cherry juice to produce the Battle of Charro 2 Imperial Brett IPA.
So, What are the health benefits of cherry juice (1)?
The 10 Health Benefits of Organic Tart Cherry Juice Concentrate:
1. Cherry juice is rich in nutrients
Organic Tart cherry juice contains many beneficial compounds and nutrients. Organic cherry juice contains many nutrients compared to sweet cherry juice.
2. It treats insomnia
Tart cherry juice is rich in melatonin (the hormone responsible for sleepiness); hence it is a safe and sure way of making you sleep in case you have insomnia.
They also contain tryptophan and anthocyanins, which help the body to create melatonin hence making you downright sleepy.
Melatonin supplemented with tart cherry juice improves the quality of sleep and the duration.
3. It can reduce Muscle Pains and Increase Strength
Cherry juice has been tested with athletes where they took the juice days before the race, and they experienced less muscle soreness after running compared to days that they go without the juice. It was also found that cherry juice speeds up muscle recovery.
4. It reduces symptoms of Arthritis and Gout
In one research, tart cherry juice reduced some inflammation markers in women who suffered osteoarthritis (a common class of arthritis).
Tart juice is also said to minimize arthritis symptoms like inflammation and joint pains.
It has also been proved that tart cherry juice prevents one from getting gout because it reduces blood levels of uric acid. Uric acid in large concentrations causes gout.
5. It strengthens the Immune System
Tart juice is vitamin-packed and has many components that have been said to improve the immune system.
Cherry juice also has antioxidants that help in disease prevention.
The research was done on athletes days before they participated in a race, and it was found that those who took the juice didn’t have any tract issues, which is common in marathon runners.
6. Cherry juice Boosts Brain Health
A major cause for brain conditions like Alzheimer’s has been linked to oxidative stress. It is said that tart cherry juice has components that help curb the oxidation process.
Cherry juice has also been linked to minimizing symptoms of dementia, a condition causing the impairment of some brain functions.
7. Tart cherry juice helps in weight loss.
It was seen to reduce blood cholesterol levels, belly fat, and weight in general.
8. It may prevent cancer
Tart cherry juice has numerous antioxidants that have been linked to cut off genes that are involved in cancerous cell growth.
9. Tart cherry juice reduces swelling
A study was done, and it was found out that supplements made from cherry juice reduced inflammation in the animals, and these attributes were believed to work in humans too.
10. Tart cherry juice lowers blood pressure
Tart cherry juice has some nutrients that help in blood pressure balance.
If you want to buy tart juice, these are the best and top-rated;
In case you don’t want to have your tart plain, you can have it in any of the following ways;
- Coconut-cherry smoothies- Blend whole, frozen tart cherries with some coconut water, then add some ice for cooling after workout drink.
- Cherry Glazed Doughnuts- mix tart cherry juice with some powdered sugar. Add a doughnut and blend them with some ice cream.
- Cocktail cherries-Get fresh cherries, cover them with tart cherry juice, sugar, and liquor. Store them for a week, then you can add in your cocktail.
- Sour Cherry Rose Jellies- stir together sour tart cherry juice, sugar, and salt in a bowl until the sugar dissolves. Add gelatin. Simmer in medium heat until there are no traces of gelatin. Stir until the mixture turns to a gel. Stir in the sweet cherries. Refrigerate from one hour to twelve hours and its ready to serve.
- Raspberry Rosehip Iced Tea-instead of raspberry, use cherries for a more healthy drink.